According to the National Hurricane Center [NHC], the Atlantic hurricane season officially began on June 1. The season will run through November 30. Like previous seasons, this year is likely to bring numerous strong storms with damaging winds and heavy rain – and roof damage.

It is no secret that hurricanes can wreak havoc on your home or business’ roof. But you may not be aware that there are steps you can take to ensure that your roof is free from weaknesses so you can keep your family and your property dry during the next storm.

2022 Hurricane Predictions

The NHC predicts 2022 will be the seventh straight year of active hurricane seasons. Their estimates show a 65% chance of above average hurricane activity, a 25% chance of normal activity, and only a 10% chance of below normal activity.

The NHC forecasts a range of 14 – 21 named storms – those with winds of 39 mph or higher. Between 6 and 10 of these storms are predicted to become hurricanes – those with sustained winds of 74 mph or higher. Additionally, 3 – 6 of these storms could become major hurricanes – categories 3, 4, or 5 with sustained winds of 111 mph or higher.

2022 Hurricane Names

The World Meteorological Organization has chosen the following names for the 2022 hurricane season: Alex, Bonnie, Colin, Danielle, Earl, Fiona, Gaston, Hermine, Ian, Julia, Karl, Lisa, Martin, Nicole, Owen, Paula, Richard, Shary, Tobias, Virginie, and Walter. Don’t be surprised if some of these names sound familiar. The list of names for tropical cyclones is reused every six years, so many of these names appeared in 2016 and will appear again in 2028.

2022 Atlantic Tropical Cyclone Names:
Alex
Bonnie
Colin
Danielle
Earl
Fiona
Gaston
Hermine
Ian
Julia
Karl
Lisa
Martin
Nicole
Owen
Paula
Richard
Shary
Tobias
Virginie
Walter

How Tropical Storms and Hurricanes Impact Your Roof

As homeowners in the Southeast know, hurricanes can leave catastrophic damage in their wake. From building collapses to flooding, hurricanes can wreak havoc for homes and businesses. While most are aware of the significant damage that hurricanes can cause for homes and businesses in their direct path, few consider the damage that their roof could sustain when they aren’t in the direct line of a hurricane.

Tropical storms, and weaker hurricanes, can damage roofs in ways that are less visible but that can be equally costly to repair. High winds can lift shingles, leaving portions of your roof exposed to water. Likewise, heavy rain can shift shingles and allow water to sink into your roof’s substructure. This type of damage may not be noticeable immediately and could only become apparent when leaks form.

How to Respond When Your Roof Is Damaged by a Hurricane or a Strong Storm

The most important thing you can do after a storm occurs is choose an established roofing company with a stellar reputation to repair the damage to your home or business. That’s because the longer you leave roof leaks untreated, the more damage your roof and your building sustains.

If water penetrates the substructure of your roof, the list of necessary repairs grows longer and more expensive the longer you wait to repair it. A roof that doesn’t drain properly can cause damage to your home or building’s foundation, which can be disastrous. Additionally, an unrepaired roof leak can allow water into your home or business which can damage your furniture, flooring, and your valuables.

Leaks aren’t the only concern from a damaged roof. It may not provide proper ventilation and can lead to mold and mildew growth on your roof, in your attic, and even in your home. Without prompt intervention, this mold can cause illness, leave lingering smells, and damage your walls and sheetrock.

For all of these reasons, it is important to repair any damage to your roof as quickly as possible. At Complete Roofing, our expert roofers will assess the damage, use tarps to prevent further water intrusion, and offer the right solution for repair or replacement if your roof is damaged by a storm.

Preparing Your Roof for Hurricane Season, High Winds and Heavy Rain

After a storm occurs, roofers are busy – especially the best of us. This can mean that you might wait days or even weeks in a worst-case scenario before you can get a reputable roofing company to your property. That’s why it’s critical to make sure your roof is in good condition before the storm strikes.

Storms can exacerbate existing issues caused by natural aging, previous storm damage, and seasonal weather. If your roof already has damage, there is a larger chance that it will fail during a heavy storm. This type of damage could come in the form of missing, broken, or cracked shingles which leave exposed places for water to penetrate. Heavy rain and winds from summer storms can further these types of roofing issues, leading to leaks and costlier damage.

To ensure your roof is in good condition prior to a storm, have it inspected by an established and well-regarded roofing company like Complete Roofing. We offer no-cost roof inspections so that you can be aware of potential roofing issues before they turn into costly leaks.

Request a No-Cost Roof Inspection
Step 1 of 2

Prepare for Storm Season with a No-Cost Roof Inspection by Complete Roofing

As storm season officially begins, contact Complete Roofing for a no-cost roof inspection. Our roofing experts are licensed, bonded, and insured and we have decades of roofing experience in the Southeast. With offices on the Mississippi coast, Alabama coast, North Carolina coast, and the greater New Orleans area, Complete Roofing can inspect, maintain, repair, or replace your roof. If your roof was damaged from a prior storm, we’ll work directly with your insurance company to handle your claim, start to finish!

At Complete Roofing, we believe that high quality results can only come from high quality materials and expert craftsmanship. That’s why we offer a wide selection of roofing products for every project. We can handle any residential or commercial roofing project, from flat and low-slope roofs to asphalt shingles and metal roofing, our expert roofers get the job done on schedule, clean and correctly, the first time.

Contact us today to schedule your no cost roof inspection.